Wednesday, January 6, 2016

End of Semester ART Portfolio Self-Assessment

One of my goals at the end of the semester is making sure that the students leave the art room with ALL of their work. This isn't an easy feat with Middle School students, but I wanted to make sure the students realized that the work they had done with me was important and special--special enough to make it home and possibly shared with someone. What we do in the art room is important and needs to be handled as such. Here's what I came up with...

For the sixth grade students, I took a large piece of white drawing paper I had folded in half to create a folder for each student. I attached the following forms to the outside of the folder:

Portfolio Self-assessment Form by Mrs. P @ CreateArtWithMe.blogspot.com

  • A checklist of all the projects they created during the semester as well as a self-assessment for their effort during the semester
  • The Art Portfolio Self-Assessment form that you see above. 
A couple of days before the end of the semester, students were handed an empty folder with these sheets attached to the outside and needed to do the following:
  1. Finish all of their outstanding projects
  2. Gather all of the projects listed on the checklist and put them inside the folder (names on everything!!)
  3. Complete the self-assessment regarding their EFFORT
  4. Complete the PORTFOLIO self-assessment
  5. Pass their completed portfolio and forms in to me to review
This worked wonderfully! Once students passed in their completed portfolios I had everything in one place so that I could complete their grades and once the grading was done, I could pass the whole thing back to the students who had a nice way to carry their work home with them.

Having the students complete the self-assessments was also a win/win. Students were able to communicate with me about how they felt they did during the semester and I had that information as I reviewed their work. The portfolio self-assessment form was short, but allowed the students to look at all their work as a whole and comment on it. I think many of the students were surprised to see everything they had done and how well they had done it! I received comments such as "I didn't know I was an artist!" and "Wow, I can't believe how much stuff I did!" Completing the portfolio self-assessment also led to a richer class discussion on the last day.

This was a great way to wrap up the semester--I definitely plan to do something like this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...